welfare bum

Successfully missing the point since 1977.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

a sound of awful


as much as i've been in denial of this fact my whole life for being labelled as the geek that i am, i've always been a big fan of science fiction movies. i'm a sucker for the Star Wars films, Demolition Man has always been a favourite. i'm sure my recent obsession with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy hasn't been TOO overly obvious.

i've also always been a Ray Bradbury fan. I loved Farenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles and many other of his novels and recently discovered that a film adaptation of A Sound of Thunder has been made and somehow slipped through the cracks of me knowing about it.

i think the reason for this is that the movie is bad. much like many other book-to-film adaptaions, this film only really resembles the original story line of a time-travel dinosaur safari gone awry. where it strayed from the original story is the effects of what happened after one of the time-travellers steps on a butterfly, thereby altering the course of history.

first off, i will mention that i have not yet watched the entire movie, only the first hour or so. this, however, is enough for me to give warning to anyone who considered watching this. the acting is borderline terrible, the CG animation looks as though it were done by a highschool student that was failing his animation class (if one should happen to exist) and the story line they attempt to follow just keeps becoming more and more ridiculous.

but because i'm the type of person that MUST watch a movie all the way through, i will reattempt to watch this film, despite its complete lack of quality, just to say that i have watched it. hopefully some filmmaker with a brain and a budget will do the story justice some time in the future. 2055 maybe? it's hard to say if i'd enjoy it at that point anyways. one major problem i'd have with this movie even if it were good is that it is the direct opposite of my opinion of time travel. you'll have to watch 12 monkeys if you want to see what my theory of time travel involves.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At Tue Oct 17, 02:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I couldn't get through A Sound of Thunder at all. Save your time. Demolition Man is always a fav though.

     
  • At Tue Oct 17, 03:16:00 PM, Blogger Martini said…

    I don't watch movies all the way through. Take this weekend for example. Browsing the horror section, I snapped up Hellraiser in great excitement. Realized it was not Hellraiser about 6 seconds in. I checked the box and saw it was a fairly new sequel called Hellraiser: Hellworld. I was not happy. I immediately shut the DVD player off and returned it. Me not happy.

     
  • At Tue Oct 17, 05:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "A Sound of Thunder" was actually more like "A Sound of Flatulence" (minus the inevitable giggles brought on by flatulence)...

    I, too, have to watch movies all the way through... So that's and hour and a half of my life I'll never get back!

     
  • At Wed Oct 18, 04:51:00 AM, Blogger Vengelyne said…

    A Sound of Thunder sounded familiar and I couldn't remember it till you brought it up. I usually remember the name of the movies I watch in cinemas, movies that I pay for... but this one just failed me terribly.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home